Monday, October 30, 2006

101 US Soldiers are dead this month and one mother still weeps

One hundred and one soldiers have been killed this month in Iraq. That number may not seem like a lot to those who support this war, but for myself and others the number signifies a tragedy.

When one soldier dies, a whole community mourns and will so for years to come.

Today I met an extraordinary elderly woman in her early 80’s. She is the sister of one of my housecleaning customers who is 70 and is currently fighting a terminal disease (scholeraderma…in her case her lungs are hardening). My customer was not there because she went to the hospital last night because she had stopped breathing. Betty came by the house to do a load of laundry and to make dinner for her sister’s husband for when he gets home.

It wasn’t too long until her and I started up a conversation. She told me she’s going to miss her sister when she dies (she has less than 6 weeks to live and this is why I’ve been called in to help too) and was concerned for Mary’s husband who is not well himself. I asked her if her husband was alive and she suddenly got very quiet. I felt kind of uncomfortable because I thought that maybe I had asked something too personal after only knowing her for an hour.

She said, “My husband died in the Vietnam war”. After a few seconds of pause, I gave her my condolences and she said, “Everytime I turn on the news today and I hear that a soldier has died in this rotten, stinking Iraq war, I cry for the mothers and the families who have to deal with this type of loss. A death from war is not the same as a death in a car accident. Our children are not in our country when they die and they die without their family near them.”

Betty, whom I had only known for an hour at least, and I cried together this afternoon. She’s right when she says that having a loved one die in a war, even when the family knows it is a possibility, is a tragedy and it’s a tragedy that continues for a lifetime for the family affected.

Betty still longs for her husband and I could see it in her eyes. I asked her how her husband had died. She said he was on an aircraft that had just loaded up with bombs and had just taken off to drop bombs on a village when a huge gust of wind tore the plane apart (apparently the planes back then were made cheaply because they went through so many during the Vietnam war) and it crashed. Betty’s husband and the others who were on that flight did not survive. What still haunts Betty today is that there were no remains of her husband to be buried. She misses him terribly and has spent the last 38 years single and plans to remain that way until she dies.

So, one hundred and one deaths in the month of October 2006 is a huge number to those of us who don’t understand what noble cause the Iraq war is being fought for and those of us who don’t understand what war is good for.

Being with Betty today made me realize that there are thousands of people in our country connected to these soldiers who have sacrificed and they are going through exactly what Betty has gone through all these years. She understands their pain and now so do I.

3 Comments:

Blogger KayInMaine said...

I did Maria and I posted this piece since you liked it.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Monday, 30 October, 2006  
Blogger clif said...

Kay when I went to Desert Storm, one of my former commanders who I had worked for, and liked as a human being went also. Though I was not under his command there, I got to visit with him and his command over there, before the war. On the second day of the attack he was killed. But we did not find out until the end of the "war". I felt like something had been stolen, but the totality of the loss did not really hit me then. It was not until we had our annual adding of the names of EOD personnel who died in the line of duty.

There on a cold October morning, as the names of the EOD personnel who died in desert were added to the EOD memorial, I saw his wife and children there. They were beside themselves in grief, as his name was revealed, and the true cost of war became apparent. This family been forced to accept a sacrifice that for the rest of their lives they have to carry. Your article reminded me of what the deaths in war really mean to many Americans.

People move on, and "time heals all wounds" are popular expressions, that ring hollow if you actually have to LIVE that time. If the loss in combat includes somebody who you personally knew and cared about, then time is not enough. You carry that loss for as long as you live. I miss my little brother for the rest of my life. The people who lost their loved ones in this illegal war will carry that burden, and it is criminal that some try to justify new losses with the previous ones.

I know my former commander would NEVER accept the meme that because some soldiers were killed in this war we need MORE losses to justify their deaths. He was a better commander and more of caring human being than that.

Tuesday, 31 October, 2006  
Blogger KayInMaine said...

Clif, you're making me cry. I have to say, meeting Betty yesterday was an eye opener for me. My cousin Scott was in this Iraq war for 2 years but he made it home safely and though our family worried about him during that time, we consider ourselves the lucky ones!!! I remember when the first Persian Gulf war started (my cousin Scott (same one) and my other cousin Phil were both in it...Scott in the Army and Phil in the Air Force on a carrier) I was eating at a restaurant here in Maine when all of a sudden a young woman (probably the sister of a soldier who was there) came running out of the kitchen and screamed to the walls and no one in particular, "The war has started!!!". Her expression wasn't a happy one. The whole restuarant went into somber mode. Fast forward to today and this same little town where this restuarant is nestled most support this new war. Why??? I have no idea.

Clif it's so difficult to lose a family member or a friend, but soldiers losing their buddies is so different. You all are closer than family because you work as a team in a very violent situation. It's life or death and when death happens the reality of it and the image of it is seered in the minds of those soldiers who survive.

The pains of war never end. Crying with Betty yesterday, you know, with a woman who is 45 years older than me...was very emotional. She's still suffering and I think if we could put a microscope on our nation to see who in our nation is suffering the affects of war death, I think we might be very startled by what we would see.

America still hasn't gotten over the Vietnam war and we won't be able to get over the Iraq war either. I think the Bush Regime needs to take a long hard look at themselves to search their souls about what they've done.

They won't. Nevermind. I hate them all.

Tuesday, 31 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home